The Eden Alternative’s principle-based philosophy empowers care partners to transform institutional approaches to care into the creation of a community where life is worth living. Led by our internationally-recognised founder, Dr William Thomas, we apply our 20 years of experience to guiding organisations through the journey of culture change.
Our Vision: To eliminate loneliness, helplessness, and boredom.
Our Mission: To improve the well-being of Elders and their care partners by transforming the communities where they live and work.
Our Values / Principles:
- The three plagues of loneliness, helplessness, and boredom account for the bulk of suffering among our Elders. (The Problem)
- An Elder-centered community commits to creating a human habitat where life revolves around close and continuing contact with plants, animals, and children. It is these relationships that provide the young and old alike with a pathway to a life worth living.(The Solution)
- Loving companionship is the antidote to loneliness. Elders deserve easy access to human and animal companionship.
- An Elder-centered community creates opportunity to give as well as receive care. This is the antidote to helplessness.
- An Elder-centered community imbues daily life with variety and spontaneity by creating an environment in which unexpected and unpredictable interactions and happenings can take place. This is the antidote to boredom.
- Meaningless activity corrodes the human spirit. The opportunity to do things that we find meaningful is essential to human health.
- Medical treatment should be the servant of genuine human caring, never its master.
- An Elder-centered community honors its Elders by de-emphasizing top-down bureaucratic authority, seeking instead to place the maximum possible decision-making authority into the hands of the Elders or into the hands of those closest to them.
- Creating an Elder-centered community is a never-ending process. Human growth must never be separated from human life.
- Wise leadership is the lifeblood of any struggle against the three plagues. For it, there can be no substitute.